98% of Western expats ‘baffled’ by toilet hose

A toilet hose, yesterday

According to a never-before-undertaken survey by The Pan-Arabia Enquirer, THE ENQUIRER ANALYSIS: PAINTING THE ARAB WORLD IN NUMBERS, we can exclusively reveal some shocking statistics about life in the Middle East.

So startling were the findings, that we’re going release the results in several stages, giving the region enough time to fully digest the figures.

This week, we can reveal that a shocking 98 PER CENT of Western expats living in the Middle East have absolutely NO IDEA what the hoses found in toilets are actually supposed to be used for.

Of the 98 per cent, a startling SEVEN PER CENT thought the hose was for washing very small children, while 30 PER CENT believed it was an emergency water supply should they become trapped in the bathroom.

“I usually just use it to clean the back of the bowl,” admitted Abu Dhabi-based Australian expatriate Cherri Adair. “Is it really, for, well, you know? Christ, doesn’t that hurt?”

A worrying 17 PER CENT of local residents expressed dismay on hearing that, of those who knew what the hose was meant for, over half referred to it as ‘The Bum Gun’.

15 Responses to 98% of Western expats ‘baffled’ by toilet hose

1. JO April 5, 2012 at 5:06 am

Any idea how to get rid of that thing at the side og the page with tweet, digg and share in it? it seems to cover the first bit of all pages and i miss out :(

• The Pan-Arabia Enquirer April 5, 2012 at 6:09 am

Which browser are you using?

• JO April 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm

explorer

• The Pan-Arabia Enquirer April 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

Ok, our IT support team has moved the sharing things to the bottom. Is that better?

• JO April 6, 2012 at 12:45 pm

wonderful!! thank u very much!

2. SammyG April 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I always thought it was for spraying the toilet seats, floors and ceilings so that expats feel they are back in Northern European climate.

3. Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm

It has to be there to turn the floor into a swimming pool…..

4. Jebel Ali Baba October 3, 2012 at 6:19 am

I thought it is used to flood the toilet in a way to make it impossible not to make your clothes wet.

5. DT October 3, 2012 at 6:24 am

SO TRUE – OR, to let the MAID think she has somehow cleaned the place!

Seriously? WHO took this survey? I’m from the US and I knew exactly what it was for – still….GROSS! How could anyone think it was sanitary to spray what is on THERE all over the toilet – the floor – the ceiling? and then….whew! WHO ELSE has put it there and accidently TOUCHED? ICKY!!! And, if you don’t think the public bathrooms are disgusting in the Middle East? THE WORST ON THE PLANET!

6. Jebel Ali Baba October 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

DT… if your from the US, the word douchebag tells it all.

7. Anonymous February 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Truly, I was just in Abu Dhabi and they had some of the cleanest toilets I’ve ever seen. Try any US McDonalds if you want to see gross.

8. Dickie April 3, 2014 at 7:29 am

I thought the general idea was to polish up with your hand and then use the bum-gun to clean your hand? Lovely!

9. Annonymous April 3, 2014 at 7:43 am

I agree that UAE public toilets are some of the best anywhere. Oman they are more mixed and Saudi unless your at a major western style mall in one of the big citties, they are utterly shocking, I doubt they are ever cleaned, the smell hits you long before you enter the building, in the women’s prayer rooms that are often adjacent the smell must be totally overwhelming.

10. sheikhajlo April 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

I turn it to maximum pressure…. thrilling for a woman

11. Anonymous April 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Hey, I use them to drench myself and my clothes when I’m too hot walking around outside. flooded floor cools the feet

Speak your brains

Advertise

The Pan-Arabia Enquirer attracts over 400,000 page views a months and can accommodate a number of advertising and advertorial opportunities.
Please visit here for more details.