Bewildered animal rights activist launches campaign against Yemeni cat chewing

A picture of a cute kitten selected by our picture editor purely to increase web traffic

LONDON: A deeply bewildered animal rights activist has launched a new campaign aimed at stopping the chewing of cats in Yemen.

Deirdre Barleywater, a 52-year-old British woman said to be “extremely puzzled” by her friends, unveiled the Save Yemeni Kitties campaign at a press conference in London, where she explained how she first came across the issue.

“I was listening to the radio about a month ago and they were talking about the problem of cat chewing in Yemen,” said the perpetually troubled lady. “The casual nature the reporter was describing such a disgusting activity brought me close to tears. I thought something must be done before cat chewing becomes commonplace across the world.”

Barleywater, who claims to own “at least 70” cats herself, added that “apparently almost everyone chews them in Yemen everyday” and that “most are grown especially for chewing”. However, she admitted that she “hadn’t yet undertaken thorough research into the problem,” something she intends to do when she visits Yemen later in the year.

The Save Yemeni Kitties campaign hopes to raise £50,000 to build a cattery in Sana’a where rescued cats can be housed. Barleywater claims to have already raised £2.43 in just three weeks of collecting across London Underground stations. “It’s amazing how little people know about the issue,” she added.

90 Responses to Bewildered animal rights activist launches campaign against Yemeni cat chewing

1. Jebel Ali Baba September 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Finally someone focuses on this issue. Cats are badly needed in cars exhaust systems and are not for chewing!!! Same here with dates. People eat dates in masses and wonder why they are so much back in time. Keep our dates were they belong; on the calendar. Or eat just the blind dates. They are useless anyways.

• Ali up circus performer September 16, 2013 at 10:54 am

Ali cars dont have cat up there exhaust pipes, there catty litter converters helping to get ride of the waste caused by these animals

2. Sheba November 30, 2012 at 8:09 am

Listen people this is absurd yemeni are chewing qat not cat … qat is a tree not an animal!! and it is a problem cause it drains the water, and they grow it instead of coffee that’s it!! I’m yemeni and you really made me laugh when I read this :D

• Muhammed November 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

LOL

• waleed ziaddy July 29, 2013 at 8:56 am

hahahahahhaha , it is really a big deal , i can’t stop laughing :D

• Ali up circus performer September 16, 2013 at 11:16 am

Sheba,
      Yemenis chew trees? How civilized

• Saad April 6, 2014 at 10:53 am

witty articles! I like!

3. Anon January 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I had no idea that what they were chewing all this time was cats. Thank goodness for this dedicated woman.

• Mandy Hyslop May 7, 2013 at 6:02 am

Oh siiiigh, if not for the Shebas and the Fatemahs, there would be no Pan Arabia Enquirer! Perhaps it would have been a good idea to have prefaced your article with a large, red ‘WARNING! MAY CONTAIN KHAT!’

• Anon May 7, 2013 at 8:28 am

However it’s spelled, I’m just so glad someone is taking care of this problem. Cats, khats — those sweet little things need to be protected.

• Anonymous July 28, 2013 at 8:52 am

Don’t you get it? it’s qat, it’s a tree. Apparently this article was made without any research whatsoever. This is just hilarious

4. fatemah February 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

How can you chew cats? seriously get you info right its khat (qut). This mad me laugh so much :D :D

• fatemah February 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm

seriously made me laugh

• Anonymous August 14, 2013 at 8:39 am

I couldn’t stop laughing when I read: “I thought something must be done before cat chewing becomes commonplace across the world.”….hahaha

5. Common sense Dubai February 19, 2013 at 9:19 am

Well I’ve owned lots of cats but I’ve never had the pleasure of owning a “khat”. Is it small, furry and got a tail? if not it’s not going anywhere near my mouth! Mr Tiddles would get very upset if he caught me chewing anything else!

• Anonymous July 29, 2013 at 11:06 am

Khat also spelled qat is a tree.. #CanTheWestBeLessIgnorant

• Sheikha Rattle In Rool November 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

#cananonymousbelessawareofsatire

6. derp May 7, 2013 at 6:07 am

Wait until she hears about the secret ingredient in kung pao “chicken.”

7. Charlie Bucket May 7, 2013 at 6:09 am

OMG Are you serious?? These are animals of the earth and people are chewing them alive? What is wrong with Arabians? Anyway I thought they chewed hasheesh??

• Yemeni person July 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm

It’s the first time that I am so glad that Yemenis chew ‘qat’, a kind of tree that they grow in Yemen and they chew it’s leaves… I hate qat but after reading this misunderstanding I can’t stop laughing loool… We are not that bad afterall…who would chew cats ewww lool… I am Yemeni btw :) and I am hoping that Yemenis stop chewing qat leaves and plant coffee beans instead :D so don’t worry we don’t eat cats or whatsoever, we are not that weird and disgusting :)

8. نولا المعمري July 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

loooool this article made me laugh a lot
    Are you seriouse!! how on earth can any one chew cats i dont know how you think or how you see people of Middle East
    listen its qat and not cat and its a tree people in Yemen chew the leaves of the qat tree

9. Othman July 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Hallirious! We indeed need this woman to help. People her in Yemen always after cat especially after big lunches. Lol

10. Anonymous July 27, 2013 at 12:57 pm

stupid ..hahaha the writer is entirely a stupid person ….

11. Alhalemi. Fares July 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm

LOL, this report will kill me laughing. Can’t you do a little research about Yemen before implementing any idiot action such as this.
    Qat is plant.

12. Mohammed Almoqri July 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm

huhuh >>> it is not cat chewing >>>> it is Qat CHEWING find it on google … very funny article

• Hesham Al-Kibsi July 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

This is why its called “The World’s Only 7-Star Satirical News Source”

13. ameera July 27, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Loool its “qat” and its green tree and famous in yemen.. not cat da animal !!

14. Anonymous July 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm

OMG. Are you serious??! Chewing Qat not cat. Qat is a leaf. People what’s wrong with you??! Read people read you make me laugh

15. Anonymous July 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm

OMG. Are serious??! The majority of Yemeni people chewing Qat (leaves of tree) not cat. Think, read, and search on the Internet before you judge people ??! You make me lugh, especially the ignores who reply with out any using their brains. I’m Yemeni girl and Iove cats. Actually it’s my pets . Almost all Yemeni people love cats.

16. Osan Al-Shaibani July 27, 2013 at 4:10 pm

OMG. Are you serious??! Yemeni people chewing Qat ( the leaves of particular tree ) not Cat. People before you judges start to use your brains. Think, read, and Google.
    I’m a Yemeni girl I love cats actually its my pets.
    And almost Yemeni’s house had a cat.
    You make me laugh, especially the ignorants who replies without having any idea

• Hesham Al-Kibsi July 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

This is why its called “The World’s Only 7-Star Satirical News Source”

17. From Yemen July 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Everyone … she must have heard mistakenly (Qat) the green plant in the radio report as (Cat) the lovely animal *_*

18. HUH July 27, 2013 at 8:20 pm

You fool dump westerner… this is an example of how narrow and close minded westerner when it comes to foreign countries… it is QAT, and it is a tree, and that why it can be chewed. Do your homework before you jump in and pretend that you care.. dumpass

• Chrystal Chipotle July 28, 2013 at 6:57 am

Do your own homework, look up satire in the dictionary and learn that B and P are not the same in English.

• Anonymous July 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm

It’s satire. In other words, a joke. Who’s the dumb ass?

• IHuang July 29, 2013 at 1:47 am

We have a lot of commenters like that on “The Onion” Facebook page, too. They don’t quite understand that they are on a satirical newspaper and either think it is a real article or complain that the article is tasteless, and we all tell them to unsubscribe already.

19. Anonymous July 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm

It is QAT (Tree grows in Yemen),Not cat

20. Majed July 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

really that’s made my day looool
    it just takes a minute of searching in google to know it’s Qat not cat looool

• Anonymous July 28, 2013 at 1:33 am

They’re so delicious it’s hard to resist

21. Tariq Sharaf July 28, 2013 at 4:36 am

loool, that’s so funny. can i take the money of the campaign and do something for yemenis?

22. Aisha-sha Tabouleh July 28, 2013 at 7:35 am

I’ve given up the habit, they are too furry to be chewed on properly, also I was promised a high and all I got was a bad allergy and a few scratches.

23. Pappel July 28, 2013 at 8:38 am

aahahahaha…this is so funny.

Qat is a form of drugs that puts Yemini’s to a kind of hibernation………intead of farming something to take them out of their poverty and hunger they prefer to farm drugs and chew it

24. Derek July 28, 2013 at 9:26 am

I was offered cat in Ethiopia last year. I refused.
    I had qat in a restaurant in the Far East. It was delicious.
    Later I found out what I’d really been chewing.

25. Anonymous July 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

LOOOL

The funniest article I’ve ever read.

26. Anonymous July 28, 2013 at 10:03 am

Loooool.. Yemini ppl chew qat not cat .. Qat is a tree for god sack !! Hahaha !!

27. Hesham Al-Kibsi July 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

“I thought something must be done before cat chewing becomes commonplace across the world.” ROFL what a moron.

“Barleywater” Nice name lol.

“I was listening to the radio about a month ago and they were talking about the problem of cat chewing in Yemen,” She launched a campaign and those lame jokers covered a “story” based on something she heard accidentally and made no research about and apparently neither did who ever wrote this joke..

“However, she admitted that she “hadn’t yet undertaken thorough research into the problem,” something she intends to do when she visits Yemen later in the year.”

This means she knows nothing.

“Barleywater claims to have already raised £2.43 in just three weeks of collecting across London Underground stations.” This is a lame joke.

Satirical news source lol

28. Anonymous July 28, 2013 at 12:21 pm

هههههههههههههههههههه بطني هههههههههه

29. syalh July 28, 2013 at 2:56 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL .. YOU CANT BE SERIOUS !!!

30. Anonymous July 29, 2013 at 9:01 am

What is this stupid Yemenis Atnaulo the khat tree, not an animal

31. Anon July 29, 2013 at 11:33 am

I’m a bit disappointed in some readers mocking this groundbreaking investigative report by PAE. It must have taken a lot of courage to penetrate the undercover world of cat/khat/pussy chewing in Yemen, a country that is already dangerous under normal circumstances.

32. Anonymous July 29, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Crazy!!!! They chew QAT!!!! How can people be so uncultivated and speak before they know!!!!

33. almaswari July 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm

hey it is qat not cat >> it is tree not animal loooooooooooooooooooool

34. Feline Friends United July 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

This is disgusting! We volunteer since decades to save the poor furballs from the threats of the desert land and now we must read this. Can they not chew brownies with coffee instead like every normal person? We must take action against this cruel behavior and open more Starbucks in Yemen as well as bring all the cats to foster families who do not chew them. Now!

35. Yemeni Cat July 30, 2013 at 1:32 am

If they eat us, we will admit it. But they are chewing us. Do you realize how much painful for us to be chewed. what make things worse is All the mouses and dogs are supporting them.

“Catwomen, Tom, Lucifer, Pete, Heathcliff,…” Where are you, we need your help. I am begging you, don’t ignore our issue.

If you can’t come to Yemen and help us kill those cat chewer, at least help us transfer from here,

Please help!.. MY TIME TO BE CHEWED IS SOOOOOOOOON.

• Anon July 30, 2013 at 8:05 am

It’s really nice meeting you, Yemeni Cat. I’m so glad this woman’s hard work is finally paying off and by word of mouth (or meow), and you are hearing that help is on the way. I’m also a cat activist. My name is Anon. I’m thinking of traveling to Yemen to do some fieldwork for you and your fellow felines. Do you Skype?

36. George Mumford July 30, 2013 at 5:44 pm

For all you people pointing out that Yemeni people chew a herb, not an animal, I suspect that this article is just a little bit tongue in cheek. They do mention that the woman in question is “a little bit puzzled” – just a bit of a give away…

37. Abdulwahab Alashaby July 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Can anyone really swallow this biased and irresponsible report to make Yemeni people look like savages chewing cats ? Does this reporter know anything about Yemen and its wonderful people… or this report was merely issued for material gain… which is cheap. I suggest that this reporter apologizes to the Yemeni people in public.

• Aristocat July 31, 2013 at 8:38 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Anonymous July 31, 2013 at 8:57 am

This is great! Haha

• This Report July 31, 2013 at 9:21 am

Sorry

• panarabiaenquirer August 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

Dear Abdulwahah. Here at The Pan-Arabia Enquirer, we have three basic pillars: truth, honesty and facts. Unfortunately, on this occasion, all three were wilfully ignored. To you, and the wonderful people of Yemen, we would like to apologise for this poorly-researched and hugely biased article. It was wrong, plain and simple, and we just hope that the efforts of people such as yourself to point out such inaccuracies pushes us all towards better news reporting in the future. Please also be assured that the journalist responsible has been sacked and hanged.
      Yours
      The PAE

• Sheik me gently August 30, 2013 at 4:52 am

I have it from good source that he was actually sacked and chewed

38. Mustafa pun ginsmel July 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

big cats can be dangerous, but a little pussy never hurt anyone.

39. alex pais July 31, 2013 at 8:38 am

now it makes sense, didnt think men liked to eat the yemeni pussy.

40. Khatsa Frendsnot Al Food July 31, 2013 at 9:13 am

Well at least they’re not chewing Mkat… That could lead to a whole new issue entirely…

41. SW July 31, 2013 at 9:17 am

brilliant to see the comments from so many earnest readers who don’t realize it’s a satirical site. honestly bringing tears to my eyes from all the laughing! Keep it up PAE

42. Gamal July 31, 2013 at 11:39 pm

You should open your ears proper to the redio before you talking about Yemenis eating cats.

It’s leave called qat or khat

43. Abdulwahab Alashaby August 1, 2013 at 6:47 am

I wonder why this irreponsible, ignorant reporter does not withdraw this report with an apology…. knowing now that a seriou mistake has been committed.

44. Orna (@OrnaKnowsDubai) August 1, 2013 at 7:08 am

I think a few of you would benefit from PAE’s upcoming ‘Confused Commenter’ convention, where seminars such as: “What We Do is Make Up Stories That Aren’t Real and Put Some Jokes In Them” and “Thinking Before Typing: We Show You How” are available…

45. Yemeni August 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH That’s very laughing … Qat is a plant in Yemen hhhhhhhhhhhh Yemen is a Muslim country and Cats. dogs . all of them are forbidden .

46. SamWham August 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm

NOBODY gets SATIRE or what!?

47. Abdullah Al Hamdillah August 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm

My leave is called Eid… and I will not go to Yemen noww as the party is canceld. Luckily I still have some cats.

• Abdulwahab Alashaby August 7, 2013 at 9:54 am

It is not worth answering to this absurd comment; and no one needs him to visit Yemen where he will be chewed as well if comes.

48. Chris de Burqa (writer of the hit song 'Lady in Black' August 11, 2013 at 3:24 am

Me thinks that the boor wee beoble of Yemen may have peen chewing a little too much cat. The cat in their cheeks must be stobbing them butting their tongue in cheek. That’s the only exblanation I can come ub with. Keep it up Ban Arapia Enquirer, I love to see beople making fools of themselves when they think they’re peing so smart!

49. Anonymous August 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I think the person who wrote this funny article should better to google ,the different between CAT and QAT FUNNY HAHAHHA

50. no way !! August 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

OMG so funny hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .. please next time before use ur pen to write anything use your brain to think or even to google it .. it is qat not cat !!!!

• Chrystal Chipotle August 27, 2013 at 7:03 am

OMG so funny hahahahahahah – please next time before you use your keyboard to write anything use your brain to read all the comments and then google satire.

51. alshebah August 31, 2013 at 2:35 am

Eat khat Yemen.
    Khat is a tree that is very much like mint or green tea soft and alarm are warned of the mind.
    Cats in Yemen live in peace and security and no one harm.

52. Farah September 5, 2013 at 9:45 pm

It is obvious that Arabs don’t understand the British national love of animals, I have read the comments above with so many hahahahaha as if animal cruelty is something amusing. I want you also to please inform your readers about the dire situation facing donkeys at Giza, perhaps your readers could get together and adopt an Egyptian donkey. Since the Coup there are no tourists and the donkeys are suffering terribly.

53. Crusty Jim September 30, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Absolutely cracking, the comments are better than the article. Keep it up PAE this accurate news reporting is the best medicine i have had in years.

54. Anonymous November 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

What about the people who Eat cat’s? I hear it’s common practice amongst some social circles. and the practice is apparently spreading in countries with strict segregation laws like Saudi.
    She needs to do something about it too.

55. TopRobbo November 3, 2013 at 8:19 am

After reading this article and finding out about the Yemini habit of chewing cat, I decided that I should try it for myself. I spent all of last evening chewing cat and I did not get any pleasure from it at all. It may be that the sound of the grief-stricken children next door crying and wailing for ‘Tiddles’ ruined the whole experience for me, so I shall try again when they’ve settled down a bit. However, next time, I will pay my driver to obtain the cat as the scratches I got from bloody thing also contributed to ruining the experience.

56. Pablo November 9, 2013 at 9:12 am

When will it become obvious to all the “Really Clever People” here with their witty references to satire and the ignorance-of-those-that-don’t-grasp-it that there is a well organized resistance to PAE that brilliantly and cunningly post “We-pretend-not-to-understand-the-joke” responses to see which of them can evince the most vitriolic and/or witty explanation of satire and why those that don’t understand it are stupid. I believe they then sit outside cafe’s in Dubai Marina and snigger over their sheeshas at the responses. Now that would be amusing.

• Anon November 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Where exactly the Dubai Marina? Is there also a cat chewing problem there? If so, I’d be very interested in staging a sit-in in honor of all the cats that are chewed in Yemen and beyond.

57. cat lover November 17, 2013 at 5:25 am

Dear Pan Arabian Enquirer readers from Yemen,
    Please stop,writing in to defend this barbarian practice, trying to trick us by saying it is. itching but leaves from a plant. We know what you are doing. And you must stop chewing on innocent defenses cats immediately. It is immoral and immature and immaculate. Eat KitKat instead.

• Anonymous November 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm

aAs

58. Lillian Bleachmuff November 30, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hi everyone, On behalf of Dubai expat housewives with nothing to do all day, we are organizing a mass twerk in support of these poor Yemani pussy cats. So girls get together next Saturday outside Spinneys at the Springs, dont forget to bring your thongs! Oh, is this not the community facebook page, oops! never mind, anyone got any wild wadi vouchers going cheap?

59. Anonymous December 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I have read all the comments and am now very confused. Do cats grow on trees?

60. Alan O'Connell January 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm

That’s not a kitten in the picture is it? huh, I always imagined them blue.

61. cheeseontoast69 January 14, 2014 at 6:29 am

I used to chew cats but the constant fur balls became too much of a problem.
    I also love trees, but couldn’t eat a whole one.

Speak your brains

Advertise

The Pan-Arabia Enquirer attracts over 400,000 page views a months and can accommodate a number of advertising and advertorial opportunities.
Please visit here for more details.