Connect with us

The Pan-Arabia Enquirer

Indians too much enjoy Diwali

Arts & Entertainment

Indians too much enjoy Diwali

Reports of too much enjoyment across Middle East following Hindu festival of light

Indians too much enjoyed Diwali this week, it has been reported.

“Too much fun, too much gaiety, too much amazing,” revealed Raji Guttera, an attache at the Indian embassy in Abu Dhabi.

The Hindu festival of light was enjoyed too much by Indians across the Gulf region, with too much fun reported in the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar. Eyewitnesses also described scenes of too much happiness in Saudi, Oman and parts of Yemen.

“Indians too much celebrate Diwali,” said India expert Rupali Por. “Too much family, definitely, definitely too much family,” she noted.

Continue Reading
You may also like...
36 Comments

36 Comments

1. Anonymous

November 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Wow. Well this not particularly funny. Which is shame, given it’s pretty racist.

• Muppet

November 5, 2013 at 6:15 am

So your complaint is that they missed a good opportunity to make a racist comment funny? How odd.

2. Ahmed Habib

November 4, 2013 at 7:51 pm

this is stupid and racist, i usually enjoy your material, but this was a huge failure

3. Hersh

November 4, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Too much use of ‘too much’ to make not too much of a humorous impact 😛 Most of your articles are amazing fun to read though. Kudos 🙂

4. S Kamil

November 4, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Too much racism needs to be balanced with too much humor. Sadly, this is not too much funny.

5. Sohan

November 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

Too much amused at the claims of racism. It is a feature of Indian English that, to the unacquainted, indicates that the quantity of whatever’s being described is uncomfortably greater than optimal. When people make fun of Aussies’ use of “too right” (which is a case of oddly parallel linguistic evolution), I never hear anything about racism.

6. John Stewart-Smith

November 5, 2013 at 9:58 am

So, what’s racist about the article? Too much seriousness is bad for you

7. daph2022

November 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’m Indian and I can’t see anything racist but I do find it funny 🙂

8. Ash

November 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

What a shame the Indian rocket headed to Mars was not a few days earlier to celebrate Diwali. Too much bad timing.

9. Ray Cyst

November 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

When I asked my Indian neighbour if he enjoyed Diwali he just nodded his head from side to side for a couple of seconds.

…I dont know if his nod means ‘yes’ or ‘no’ or ‘too much’.

• lucas

October 29, 2014 at 5:08 pm

It means that you are a racist, sir. Please go and apologize to the nearest white person, to help ease their liberal guilt.

10. Noddy

November 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm

How many of you tried to do THAT side to side nod after reading Ray Cyst’s comment?

11. Paul Jackson

November 6, 2013 at 3:01 am

So the white folk can’t see the racism but the Indians can. That speaks volumes. White people, you need to engage your brains. This is spectacularly racist and hence NOT FUNNY AND NOT SATIRICAL

• lucas

October 29, 2014 at 4:48 pm

“Ahmed” doesn’t sound like an Indian name, you utter pussy. Take your liberal guilt “outrage-by-proxy” back to The Guardian.

12. Ali Jams

November 6, 2013 at 10:02 am

Actually “Paul Jackson” the only self proclaimed Indian leaving a comment said it was funny. It’s observational satire, that is funny, I assure you. Too much funny.
    If it was Russell Peters making the comments you wouldn’t have a complaint. The Pan Arabian mocks many different nationalities and cultures. Lighten up.

13. Anonymous

November 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

Non-English native speaking cultures work too much hard at wanting to find issues to complain about, but not too much time learning the language. What is racist about pointing this out? Same-same right?

14. amussed

November 6, 2013 at 10:10 am

same, same but different, too much complaining about different comments. no point of pulling the racism card and complain to much about it. the “too much” is already part of Dubaian language

15. Anonymous

November 6, 2013 at 10:28 am

Is it racist to say that “non-native” English speaking cultures don’t spend too much time understanding the language? This level of satire may exceed the education level of those complaining about racism too much. Especially when making comment like “the white folk,” isn’t this the same-same?

16. Sohan

November 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm

RE: Anonymous, November 6, 2013 at 10:09 am: This is not about non-native speakers of English being obliged to learn English as defined by some grammar textbook. They are not; many English people do not speak English in strict adherence to “the rules” either. It’s an evolving language, with many regional adaptations and innovations. In other words, it’s just like any other living language. We can find humor in these variations without suggesting that the people who speak them are necessarily lazy or uneducated.

• Anonymous

November 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

If someone is going to claim racism, shouldn’t they know how to apply the label? At what point of this article implies that one race is better than another based? In order to be innovative, it has to be improved. Regional adaptions are excuses for laziness or inability/unwillingness to understand (education) and apply innovations. There is nothing wrong with using ‘too much’ too much, but call it like it is and don’t claim racism. Especially when you don’t understand the words meaning. Unless, of coarse, the definition of racism has adapted to embody a separate meaning which only those who are being ridiculed understand.

17. Anonymous

November 7, 2013 at 7:56 am

I’m Indian and this is hilarious!

• lucas

October 29, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Be careful you don’t upset Paul Jackson.

18. Sohan

November 7, 2013 at 11:06 am

Please read my comment from November 5, 2013 at 9:48 am. The one in which I made it clear that I do NOT find this article racist.

What I do find objectionable is passing judgement on the education and work ethic of those who do not speak English as per some arbitrary fossilized standard, especially when their customary audience goes by the same regional norms as do they, and especially in an informal context. If anything, the evolution of regional dialects is a consequence of linguistic innovation, rather than a lack thereof. Moreover, English – even the standardized version – is a hodgepodge of numerous and diverse languages, assimilated over centuries.

By they way, it’s “of course”, not “of coarse”.

19. Marie Dooley

November 7, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I’m just glad everyone had a happy Divali!

20. Paul Jackson

November 9, 2013 at 3:13 am

So you all think that in the hearts of all the people who use the too much & head jingling joke there lies innocent amusement. If you do you are self deluding. They are laughing consciously or even unconsciously at you, not with you, because you speak differently. That is racist.

The fact that some Indians are amused by it does not make it less so.

The brilliant reasoning of the “anonymice” is nonsense when it misses the central point that it stems from races laughing at the perceived lack of other races. The reasoning and the excuses are immaterial. That it has become so widespread as a joke does not excuse it.

Sohan; Too right v Too much?? No one is laughing at the Australians. That is the difference.

• lucas

October 29, 2014 at 4:55 pm

It seems that YOU are the only one that perceives it as a “lack”. Your protests and willingness to take offence on behalf of those who do not see it as a lack, speaks volumes about your own true nature.

You racist.

21. Mr Raj Patel the 3rd

November 12, 2013 at 10:17 am

I had far too much, it was a splendid affair and throughly forgot where I was, please can we utilise the word state next time and reduce this awful thing called FUN!

22. Ali

November 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I see the article forgot to mention the double negative used commonly by many Indians
    E.g., “My name is Rajesh, no?’ , “you name is John, no?”

23. Anonymous

November 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

To much nodding in Dubai,,,,,,,???

24. Anon E Mouse

November 22, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Ali, the examples you give are not double negatives, “I ain’t got nothing”, as used by Londoners is an example of a double negative… it is used to mean that “I do not have anything” but actually means “I have not got nothing” or, more clearly, “I have something” 😉

25. Anonymous

November 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I always like your articles… But this is a little racist.

26. Mr Raj Pater the 3rd

January 5, 2014 at 10:51 am

Ali, I sincerely apologise for the punctuations and indeed one must comply, no?

27. lucas

October 29, 2014 at 4:57 pm

OMG, an article pokes fun at the tendency of one of the world’s oldest continuous religions and their ability to have fun during their ferstival.

BAWWWWWWW; THAT’S RACIST!!!!!

Cry me a river.

28. Elizabeth

October 29, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I think you need to live in Dubai to understand it. Certain languages like i.e. Arabic do not have a word for “very”. So instead they say “”too”. Examples: I am too much tired. I had too much fun. The food was too much nice. Etc.
    It is a Dubai thing. Calm down.
    I enjoyed too much the article.

29. Syed

October 30, 2014 at 9:31 am

I think the elephant in the room here (even though I too much dislike that expression), is the fact that the Middle East is notorious for racism, particularly against South Asians. I can also confirm this from my personal experiences… as a South Asian.

On a separate note, I didn’t really enjoy this piece. Normally some of these are very spot on with satire. I felt like it was ‘scraping the barrel’ a little. There wasn’t much substance and the over use of phrases kind of diluted the dialogue a little.

From an editorial perspective – if you kept ‘too much’ in the quotes from Indians that would have been fine. The moment it becomes racist is when the reporter/columnist then also starts using the phrase within the rest of the story. Just bad editorial to be honest, I’m sure the folks at The Pan-Arabia Enquirer are not actually racist. Having a funny stereotypical quote from the subject of the joke is funny, having other people imitating the subject of the joke is racist.

Take a look at the recent ASU MLK racist party fiasco in the US as an example (where frat students decided to host a party themed ‘black’). Even though things like this happen in respectable institutions… it doesn’t mean people are not held accountable. I’m sure this piece was all done in good faith and humour but do be careful, and know that accountability does exist, even if you are making fun of others in the name of satire.

I rest my case!

30. Karama Lover

October 30, 2014 at 12:15 pm

i think the people on this comment have too much free time – “Fellow indian”